Many of you may have seen this before, but it was long on my to-post list, so I figure I’d finally post it today.
I came across this test courtesy of my Father some nine months ago, and I must say it took me a while to arrive at a solution.
This is supposedly a test given to Japanese job applicants to gauge their IQ levels. The task is to transport a party of eight people across the river, following these rules:
- No more than two people can be on the raft at any point,
- Only Mom, Dad and the Policeman know how to operate the raft,
- Mom cannot be left with any of the boys when Dad is on the other bank,
- Dad cannot be left with any of the girls when Mom is on the other bank,
- The prisoner cannot be left with any family member when the Policeman is on the other bank.
Dysfunctional family aside, – what is it with Japanese? – the first time you try solving this puzzle, I bet you will find yourself perplexed at some point.
Click the big round button to start – and good luck!